A very common problem with C5 headlights is the long adjuster shaft is often broken. In addition, the Torx end on the shaft is fragile and can become stripped off the adjuster rod. This rod is sometimes referred to as the golden rod since they are plated yellow.
Unfortunately new headlight adjuster rods are not available. But with a little patience, drill press and our new repair kit - you'll have your C5 Corvette headlight adjusters working again.
Repair steps include:
- Once the headlight adjuster is removed, the gear will need to be cut-off from the shaft
- Sand gear smooth and prep for drilling operation.
- Drill out the shaft from the old gear. A Norseman 3/16" drill bit is included with the repair kit. A drill press must be used to make the hole straight and precise.
- Use the aluminum guide to hold the shaft straight and press the shaft into the gear (can use hammer for this operation).
- Once completed, reassemble with silicone grease on all parts.
Tip: Before removing the old long shaft/gear take a few measurements so when you are finished you can adjust it close to the original setting before reinstalling back into the headlight assembly.
See Zip # HDL-422 for our "double" kit which includes the machined rod to repair (2) headlight adjusters.
|Model Year||1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004|